- It has a Pungent taste and a HEATING potency. Balances Kapha and Vata. Increases Pitta.
- It is light & easy to digest, enters deep tissues & can break accumulation of doshas/dhatus/malas.
- DIGESTIVE, Carminative, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-spasmodic, Analgesic, Anti-helmintic, Anti-convulsant, Cardiac tonic, Anti-viral, Expectorant, Urine stimulant, Emmenagogue (ability to provoke menstruation).
- It is added as a spice for flavouring the food.
- Bloating, Abdominal colic pain, Gaseous distention of abdomen, Flatulence and Constipation.
- Asthma, Chronic bronchitis, Swine Flu (H1N1) and other Respiratory disorders.
- Paralysis, Facial paralysis, Hemiplegia, Sciatica, Convulsions & other unconscious disorders.
- Disurea and related pains.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, Low backache, Cervical pain.
- It improves Cholestrol metabolism in the body, thereby reducing Blood Cholestrol level.
- It reduces inflammation of blood vessels and deposition of cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels, thereby prevents Atherosclerosis.
Dietary dosage: 5mg – 30mg/day
Therapeutic dosage: 10mg – 250 mg/day (Only on prescription of an Ayurvedic physician).
- Lactation (Low dietary dosage can be taken if it is not causing sensitivity to the child)
- Symptoms or History of Hyperacidity, Gastritis, Bleeding disorders.
— Dr. Malika Ahuja