When two or more foods having different tastes, energy and post digestive effects are combined and consumed, can create a negative reaction and produce toxins in the body. This is called Dietetic Incompatibilities.
POOR FOOD COMBINATIONS:
The following list highlights some of the food combinations worth avoiding:
- MILK with Fish
- MILK with any Meat
- MILK after consuming Radish, Garlic, Drumstick (leaves are used in food supplements and as a condiment in foods, common name – Sahajan/Shigru/Shobhaanjan), Java tea (Arjak, a variety of Tulasi), Samukh & Surasaa Tulsi (often added in green tea)
- MILK with fruits like sour MANGO, Jungli Mango (Spondiss pinnata/Amadaa, mainly used for making pickles), Bijora nimbu (Citrus medica/Matulung), Monkey Jack (Lakuch/ Badhal), Karonda (Carissa carandas), BANANA, Ber (Jujube), Ceylon Oak (Laksavrksa/ Koshamr/ Kusum), Star fruit (Coromandal gooseberry/ Kamrakh), Jaamun, Wood apple (Feronia lemonia/Kaith/Kapith), Tamarind (Imli), Walnut, Jackfruit (Katahal), Coconut, Sour Pomegranate, Amla and all sour taste foods.
- MILK with Moth beans (moth ki daal), Kulthi (Horse gram) and Urad
- MILK, Sura (a kind of alcoholic beverage) and Kshara (a highly alkaline drink) altogether
- BUTTERMILK with Banana
- SATU (a drink made by mixing gram flour & barley) after consuming Rice pudding(kheer) causes aggravation of kaph element.
- MEAT with Honey, Til, Jaggery, Urad, Radish, Sprouted cereals
- RIPE BADHAL (Monkey Jack, lakuch)) with honey and milk
- RIPE BADHAL with Urad, Jaggery and Ghee
- RADISH and Urad
- OIL in which fish has been cooked, if we fry Long Pepper (pipali) and Makoy (Solanum nigrum), is considered to produce toxins in the body.
- HONEY should never be cooked. Uncooked honey is nectar. Cooked Honey is considered poison. Honey is poisonous for a person suffering from Heat stroke.
- HONEY and ghee in SAME amount
- HONEY with warm water.
- Not eating while you are hungry or vice-versa or retention of natural body urges while having food.
- Improperly cooked rice
- Cosumption of food that one doesn’t like
- Ghee kept in KANSA vessel (an alloy of 85% copper & 15% tin) for 10 or more days.
- Certain foods may be incompatible because they are simply not right for a particular season.
- Stale food (including leftovers)
Some of these are staple combinations in many households. Who amongst us has not enjoyed Banana shake? Then there are so many fruit-flavoured yoghurt in the market. Many of us put honey in hot green tea or hot milk as a sweetner.
The list given above is meant to help you determine poor food combinations at a glance. It’s not an exhaustive list. In fact, you may be knowing some other combinations which work against your body.
All of these poor food combinations appear complicated especially when it means leaving behind a lot of the delicious food combinations you have come to love. The list is not meant to make you feel stressed around food. Ayurveda is a strong proponent of choosing one good habit at a time.
HARMFUL EFFECTS OF POOR FOOD COMBINATIONS ON THE BODY:
Poor Food combinations can cause Indigestion, fermentation, acidity, bloating, constipation, skin allergies, allergic bronchitis, production of toxins, long term use of poor food combinations may be an unknown cause of auto-immune diseases.
– Dr. Malika Ahuja