The mankind around the world suffers from the current Covid-19 outbreak. People of ALL AGES can be infected by the new coronavirus. Older people, people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) and with weak immunity appear to be at more risk. WHO advises people of all ages to take steps to protect themselves from the virus, for example by following good hand hygiene and good respiratory hygiene.
In addition to recommendations in place regarding prevention of spread of Covid-19, some Natural and Ayurveda measures could be put in place for supporting and strengthening body’s natural defense system (immunity).
Ayurveda advises the following measures to STRENGTHEN THE IMMUNE SYSTEM with special reference to respiratory health.
- An optimum nutrition and a good night’s sleep are the key factors to maintain a healthy immune system. Without these, your immune system won’t have the strength it needs to fight off illness. Most adults need about 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night.
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Daily practice of Yogasana/Exercise and meditation for at least 30 minutes is a simple way to rev up your defense system and ease stress. Exercise doesn’t have to be hard core.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander), Adarakh (Ginger) and Lahsun (Garlic), Ajwain (Caraway seeds) and Lavang (Clove) are good to use in cooking.
These spices are natural therapeutic powerhouse and concentrated sources of antioxidants. Several studies have shown their antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties. They fight inflammation and reduce damage to the body cells.
Chyawanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyawanprash.
Chyawanprash is a 5000 year old Ayurvedic multi-herbal jam considered to be a Rasayana for all the tissues of the body. It is best known for its support of the immune system. Amla Berry, also known as Amalaki, is the main ingredient and base of Chyawanprash. It is an extremely rich source of VITAMIN C. Several studies have shown vitamin C to have a positive effect on bolstering immunity. Chyawanprash is also an excellent respiratory tonic as it protects the body from infection by nourishing the mucous membranes and supporting clear respiratory pathways.2
Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed. A hot cup of tea soothes throat and breaks up congestion. The ingredients in Herbal tea have anti- microbial and anti-viral properties.
Golden Milk- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which help protect cells from damage, fight off disease and infections and contribute to your overall health.
Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
Oil pulling therapy
Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
Disclaimer: The above advisory does not claim to be treatment for COVID 19.
- Immunity Boosting – AYUSH Advisory.pdf http://ayush.gov.in/event/ayurveda-immunity-boosting-measures-self-care-during-covid-19-crisis
- Chyawanprash Health Benefits & Effects | About Chyawanprash https://lotusbloomingherbs.com/blogs/journal/health-benefits-of-chyawanprash